Small update about “Lady Blue”.

The bicycle is now in parts. All the parts has been inspected, cleaned and checked. The most damaged parts, has been replaced. The saddle, sadly the original one was in really bad condition so it had to go. I found a worn old Brooks saddle, they look vintage and are good for comfort. The handlebar was repainted in an industrial colour. There I found a good replacement from the same era, the handlebar grips, bell, lamp, dynamo, skirt-protectors to the mud guard in back. The mud guard stands, tires, tubes and rim protectors. All is parts now just waiting to be assembled.
It will be a great looking one when its done. The girl who wants to use it is looking forward to see the bicycle.

I learned some history of the bicycle from the co-worker I received it from.  He told me that the first owner was born in 1927, in the town of Kalmar in sothern Sweden. She was given the bicycle on her 8th birthday. Then she had the bicycle all her life until she became old and did not want to cycle around more. The the bicycle was handed to a friend of the old lady. Nowdays the friend never use the bicycle so I was given them instead.
So the bicycle was made in the same town as the girl grew up in and most likely to be from 1935. Only 78 years ago.

Oh, about the old enamel cup in the photo. It is good for drinking beer, water, hot coco, tea, lemonade. Not all at once of course, but it is a good cup, very usable. You can even put it on the stove, fireplace and heat food, soups, drinks.
Beside all that, it looks vintage to.



Grease since 1930’s

The time had come, it was time for see what condition the old lady bicycle was in. I started by taking off the chain guard, saddle, handlebars. Then the wheels, mudguards, chain, stand. When that was done I started by taking apart the front fork and the bearings.

Except the suspected grease from the 1930’s that was dried up and all dust, also since the 1930’s. The bicycle was in extremely good condition. Minor rust spots, the only rust I found that is of a serious form was inside the rims, where the rim protectors (made in cloth) still did their job and protected the tubes.

I started to clean some parts. Lots of cleaning products and rags, even more elbow grease. Long evenings in the winter will be spent in the basement. Cleaning and polishing.  Also the hunt for parts has begun, I have found several parts that is needed. The only real question mark is the handles. They seem to be more or less scarce to say the least. Over all it is a good project.

The goal of Bike in Tweed 2014 is an possibility.